Stream via OBS
The purpose of this guide is to allow you to get a more in-depth look at setting up a livestream using Livepeer Studio with OBS. In order to broadcast a live stream, you’ll need a stream key.
OBS (opens in a new tab) is the way that many users stream into Livepeer because it is easy to use, open source, and offers a high degree of customization.
Prepare the environment
- Download OBS (opens in a new tab)
- Login or sign up at Livepeer Studio (opens in a new tab)
- Create a stream by going to "Streams" on the dashboard, and click on "Create stream"
Open OBS and create a source
- Click the + icon under sources and select Video Capture Device if you’d like to stream using a camera or webcam. If you’d like to stream a browser window, select Window Capture.
- Give the device a name:
Input Your Stream Settings
- Select Stream settings.
- Select Custom for services.
- Copy and paste the RTMP ingest URL and Stream Key and paste it into the “Server” and “Stream Key” fields.
The RTMP ingest URL and stream key can be found on the dashboard, on the Stream Detail page after creating a stream or in the API.
Select Output Settings and Streaming tab
- In the Output Mode select
- Set the keyframe interval to 2 seconds.
- Save your settings.
Livepeer Studio works best with consistent, short keyframe intervals, ideally 2 seconds. You should set or encourage your users to set this in their broadcasting software.
Stream and Check Output
After saving your settings, OBS will return to the stream console.
- Press start streaming (from the output you selected when inputting your stream settings above).
Navigate to the Livepeer Dashboard, log in, and select the stream name that you are currently using. This should now be marked as “Active.”
Under the Health tab, the video you are streaming in through OBS should be visible.